View single post by Brian Kelly
 Posted: 05-25-2005 12:44 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Brian Kelly

Dan, now that’s a leak!  Your oil catch pan is an interesting idea.  By the time you break the tranny from the engine and disconnect the motor mounts you are half way there to getting the engine out (what’s left – steering linkage, disconnect exhaust, cooling hoses, electrical….).

Getting the seals into their respective grooves requires a bit of force.  I found using the crank shaft as a tool to force them to the point where they are fully seated worked well.  Once seated you mark the ends for trimming (yes, they have to be cut to length).  I left the ends of each half hang out 0.01-0.02” so that when the two halves came together there would be a slight interference.  I also used a dab of high temp RTV on the back sided of the seals and at the two joints.

All this could be done on your back beneath the car but I would dread it.  I’m at that point in life were I am now needing bifocals to focus on up close objects so it is easier for me to be able to stand back a bit and look at it.

Anyway, with good oil pressure and good cylinder compression you maybe just fine going in to replace just the seal.  You could probably get it done in a good day. It's all part of the adventure!

Brian