View single post by subwoofer
 Posted: 04-27-2008 08:44 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
subwoofer

I tried to figure this one out by myself this afternoon, and did more or less what you described, except I made a note of how many teeth the cams were off at TDC, then moved moved the cams the appropriate amount with the engine turned 90ยบ, put the belt back on - and voila, correct (I hope...) timing.

Confirming the timing mark on the crank pulley was my first check. Unless there is a was of setting the cam pulleys off, or some PO has installed some really weird cams, the engine should be right now.

Still have some problems to work out, though. It wouldn't catch when I tried to start it, tried a few more times. Then I found the ballast resistor bypass had fallen off the starter solenoid. Sound while cranking changed a bit, but still wouldn't catch. Pulled one plug and found it soaked, so I must have drowned the poor thing properly. Left the plug out for now, at least one cylinder should dry out overnight.

Needless to say, being a complete amateur, I have changed several things at once, static setting the ignition, having the carbs apart changing diaphragms and gaskets and of course moving the cams.