View single post by Brian Kelly
 Posted: 05-24-2005 12:50 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Brian Kelly

Dan, How bad is the leak?  How much oil are you adding and at what interval? I have the rope seal and mine leaks a small bit but I can live with a few drops of oil on the floor.  After all it’s British!  Replacing the rope seal is a Job to be sure but it is do-able. I’d say the engine has got to come out.  If your oil pressure is good then your bearings may be fine.  It is entirely possible that your engine is in great shape except for the rope seal or Judson maybe right and you could be up for a rebuild as long as it is out.

If I had to do it I’d probably pull the engine, tranny and header out. One could argue weather it’s easier to line up and bolt up the tranny and header in or out but I really like to avoid lying on my back under the car so I’d rather get it all out and work on it.

Anyway, if it is a small leak and all else is well you could put a drip pan on the garage floor for now and deal with it over the winter if not you may want evaluate the condition of the engine to see how much needs to be done (2.2L conversion,  ….etc)

Brian