View single post by kneff
 Posted: 05-23-2005 11:00 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
kneff

I installed the Delta mount the weekend before last, and everything went so smoothly that I couldn't believe it! Many, many thanks, Mark, for your description of the required modifications!

I spent about 2 hours between modifying the transmission mount and the crossmember. For the mount, I used a combination of a round file and a Dremel. For the crossmember, I ended up using my drill press and a little creativity. A Bridgeport would have been better, but I managed with what I had.

I ended up making 1/8" shims out of bar stock. I used 2 above the mount and two below. For the ones above, I cut two 1.5" x 4.75" (1/8" thick) pieces and drilled 3/8" holes on 4" centers to match the holes in the transmission. For the ones below, I cut two 2" x 3" (1/8" thick) pieces and drilled 3/8" holes on 1.5" centers to match the holes in the crossmember.

I ended up buying new upper and lower mounting bolts, each 1/4" longer than the originals (or, in the case of the upper bolts, the ones supplied by Delta). I also purchased oversized washers to compensate for the large holes in the replacement transmission mount.

When I jacked the car up to reinstall, it took me no more than 20 minutes to install, align and bolt everything up! It was just too easy! The advantage to using a total of 4 x 1/8" shims is that I could easily remove 1 or 2 if I had a problem with header or steering column clearance. I didn't need to, but I like the flexibility.

Of course, I now have a problem with the exhaust pipes impacting the rear suspension bump stop, but I'm missing an exhaust mount so that problem might be easy to resolve.

All in all, I'm thrilled with how simple it was, once I reviewed Mark's notes and took careful measurements.

Ken