View single post by Tim Murphy
 Posted: 05-22-2005 04:44 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Tim Murphy

Hi Mark. I am going with my gut feeling and your ‘diagnoses at a distance’ and have ordered a new alternator. I checked the battery cells and they were all good. When I charged the battery it took 10 amps and took two hours too get down to taking a 2 amp charge. Hence my conclusion that I needed a new alternator.

I think I fried my a alternator when I installed a new engine wiring harness I got from Delta Motorsports. It came without any directions and I tried to install it according to the wiring schematic. Nothing worked. After two weeks, I called Delta and explained my problem. The response I got was "Oh, you have a Lucas alternator, those are wired different then the schematic. I will send you a copy of how to wire it, should get there in 5 days or so."

Man, I am glad the FCC doesn’t monitor phone calls, because I would have been fined $6.3 million for all the F’ing, AsHols and can’t believe this Sht’s I used. I was sooooo mad, a $130 part and they didn’t send me directions. I buy a clock at the 99 cent store and I get directions, I buy a bottle of shampoo and there are directions on the back. I lost 3 weeks of expensive garage time and a have a fried alternation because they were to lazy to make a zerox copy and send it to me with the part.

I purchased a NEW alternator on eBay, item number 7917087784. It cost $60, 50% LESS then Deltas 1996 price list of $90 for a rebuilt alternator. Before I purchased it I sent the seller and email and got an immediate response:

You asked:
"Cost of shipping to Huntington Beach, CA 92646? Is there a core charge? Also, auction states new (not rebuilt) lucas alternator, is this correct? Thanks, Tim Murphy"

Hi Tim Thank you for your inquiry. Yes this is a new Lucas but is made in the plant in India There is no core charge. Shipping UPS ground will be 11.47 Thanks Wayne

Will post again after I install the alternator.