View single post by frank12873
 Posted: 12-26-2007 12:26 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
frank12873

OK, fellas, my problem appears to have been (note the past tense) another iteration of "The Mysterious Sticking Clutch".

After purchasing a couple more jackstands this holiday weekend, along with a full-size floor jack so I could raise the car high enough to get underneath it semi- comfortably, I used a mirror and "feel" to determine that the clutch fork was indeed where it was supposed to be on its pivot.

I had pretty much decided to call in the local British Classic Car mechanic who made 12873 roadworthy over 4 years ago, thus depleting the "Judson Fund" that I have managed to accumulate over the years towards a performance engine rebuild.

I figured I'd at least run the engine before I headed into the house, since it hadn't been run in a while. Started it, got in the car, tried first gear, no go, second, no go, first again, CLUNK, it went in! Unbelievable! I shifted the transmission into all the gears for about five minutes, then took it off the jackstands and drove the car for the first time since early September! Shifted as if nothing had ever happened. The oddest thing. 

Steve and Joey, I'm sorry that the "resolution" of my problem doesn't help you diagnose or resolve your similar issues. I also realize that my problem can (will?) recur, but I'm thankful to have a drivable car again, at least for the time being.

Happy Holidays to All!