View single post by Judson Manning
 Posted: 12-23-2007 07:06 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Judson Manning

Early 907 variants utilized an AC Delco alternator that I think was a fairly common unit a la Vauxhall parts bin.  Post 1974 roadsters (and all GTs) used a slightly more powerful Lucas alternator with the same bracketry. 

A revision to the accessory housing post 1975 allowed an interchangeable bracket for the alternator to allow clearance for the a/c drive system.  Later Elite, Excel and Esprit engines use a more modern looking (i.e. typical GM) alternator with different bracketry

Check ebay.  I saw today an AC Delco unit listed for $40 and I'm sure Bruce Madden as well as other 'collectors' have plenty of used alternators lying about.

As far as modern replacements, few alternators out there have the 'double-ear' design requiring some custom bracketry to graft such a unit to the 907 accessory housing.  One possible option is the alternator from the early Nissan 240SX.  While strolling in the junk yard one day I took some measurements and it looked close, but I haven't yet had the time to pull one and do some experiments.