View single post by Judson Manning
 Posted: 10-10-2007 10:59 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Judson Manning

The dry-sump grafted to the engines in the picture appears to be an aftermarket design.  The factory Lotus unit was in a similar location, but used the stock oil-pump as one of the scavangers.  I've got a pic around here somewhere... Unfortunately, that location corresponds to where the JH engine mount is located and really isn't an option for us.

To make room for the dry-sump pump Huffaker replaced the stock accessory housing with a custom Weaver pump.  It required re-designing the timing belt, changing over to distributorless ignition, etc.  Ridiculously complex and expensive...but when you have Huffaker resources...you win championships!

The Sunbeam 911 is an interesting variant (forward sump), and was quite right for the times.  Lotus spent another 15 years refining the 910/912 so I find myself searching for inspiration from later designs (ala 912SE and 920).

I really can't argue with my success:  At the Gainesville Solo I back in March, a wet-sump 910 block backed up by an Accusump was more than adequate to maintain good oiling despite the car leaning over 18"!

Attachment: GainsvilleSolo1.jpg (Downloaded 165 times)