View single post by discogodfather
 Posted: 10-08-2007 08:28 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
discogodfather

Massaging 200hp out of the 907 is a good value IMO, basically higher compression, good cam, and some webers/dells.  But going to 250hp is a big task, and 300hp seems only for the most unruley racing monsters.  As much as I love the Lotus 9xx family, I have to admit the JH with 300+hp would be astonishing.  Cost is always a factor- not from and labor/fabrication (that's just me) but the cost of components.

When I first got my JH I entertained the idea of going with another engine, something that weighed around 300lbs, wouldn't need much modification, low price, good 5 or 6 speed tranny option, and put out a good 300hp.  Naturally the first inclination was the Buick/Olds/Rover 215.  That engine I have always liked, low weight, all aluminum, capable of well over 300hp actually quite easily.  But putting a pushrod engine in the JH that taps out where the 907 just begins to rev up has always seemed counter to the design of the car in some way. 

We all have seen the various V8's put in the JH.   Keeping the weight distribution of the JH the way it is has always been the highest priority for me.  I found a blustering american V8 that weighed only 347lbs, but it was a $15,000 aluminum block engine for World products.  600hp drag racing engine.  Do you think the stock rear end will take that power (-joke-)?

So then I started to look at other engines including BMW and Mercedes V8's from 90's cars with some decent power (such as the BMW M60).  Heavy weight again- around 450-500lbs.  Also, the oil pan sump is placed in the front of the engine- a bad idea if you need to graft it into the JH chassis cradle.  There are some interesting V6's out of the Benz and BMW's, but they are expensive and not that impressive power wise (and hard to get a manual tranny). 

The latest engine that has come into contention is a Nissan VQ35DE.  Its a V6 out of a late 350Z.  This engine has over 300hp, a decent 270lbs tq, and weighs only around 350lbs.  It also has a great 6speed tranny.  You can pick these up for $2000 with the transmition from time to time. 

Looks like it has a forward sump but I am willing to do the welding/fab required to make it fit.  I would recam and make it a weber fed setup, junking most of the fuel injection.  Have a set of weber three-bank carbs from an old 911 porsche.  Well aware that the hood will have to be chopped to get the height worked out.  Haven't even begun to think about tranny size (chopping and modding the tranny well, etc) or exhaust problems.  The engine looks very compact though, and seems like it would fit well (height will be an issue).

Anyone have any other interesting JH alternative engines?  I know the huge ammount of work that needs to go into any engine graft, but I am willing to put in the time as long as the result is a 300hp JH. 

-thanks

Attachment: VQ35DE.jpg (Downloaded 61 times)