View single post by Greg Fletcher
 Posted: 10-03-2007 04:36 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Greg Fletcher

You should be able to shift without the clutch if the transmission is otherwise ok. Your comments make me think the problem lies in the transmission rather than the engagement of the clutch. That clunk you heard does not bode well. Was this 4 speed rebuilt? If the gear clusters on the layshafts are not staked correctly and the nuts not torqued (always use Loctite on these) properly at reassembly (I've always found this challenging myself), they have a tendency to come apart. When that happens, bad things follow.

The syncos are normally not a problem on the 4 speed. Typically, the teeth on the gears simply wear down before that and it starts popping out of various gears on deceleration.

I have seen high mileage units fail where they will not go into several gears, but those always show significant problems long before that happens.

I know this sounds lame, but it's probably worth checking the shift lever to see if it's actually engaged correctly. I once had the bolts loosen up and the lever started slipping up and out of position.