View single post by frank12873
 Posted: 10-03-2007 02:06 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
frank12873

Am hoping to get some input from the board on a clutch or transmission issue.

Memorial Day weekend, coming home from a 100-mile jaunt in my JH, I came upon a traffic back-up going down a hill. I shifted the transmission (a 4-speed) into neutral (noting an unusual but subdued "clunk" as I did), and then, while coasting down the hill with the clutch in, could not get the transmission to go back into any gear. Clutch pedal felt normal. I couldnt even "bump-shift" into a gear by goosing the throttle and moving the shift lever into gear with the clutch out.

I ended up stopping the car at the side of the road. The shift lever and clutch pedal felt normal and, with the engine off, went into each gear.  After the traffic dissipated, I started the car in 1st gear and drove it the 5 miles home in 1st gear. She got me home!

I was hoping the problem was my clutch cable had stretched so much that pushing the pedal in wouldn't disengage the clutch. No such luck; I finally adjusted the cable this weekend (it needed it), and still can't go into any gear with the engine running.

Should I be able to bump shift this transmission? Is there something different about it that makes it normal that it won't bump shift? I've never had a manual transmission that wouldn't bump shift.

Could all the transmission syncros have gone out at once? If I was able to drive the car home in 1st gear (with no unusual transmission noises), isn't it likely the transmission is OK?

I realize my next step is to drop the transmission and check the clutch. Someone told me it sounded as if one or more clutch disc springs broke, and have jammed and locked up the clutch. Possible? Needing only a new clutch would be the best scenerio at this point I think.

Any comments or guidance would be greatly appreciated.