View single post by j4jacob
 Posted: 09-26-2007 04:20 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
j4jacob

Greetings all.  I'm blasting down the highway this evening accelerating hard (but nowhere close to redline, about 5K) and the engine looses power abruptly.  I limp home but the car will bearly idle.  It is pretty obvious that not all cylinders are present and accounted for.  I remove all plugs and test them for spark at lead one. All the plugs check out.  Upon further investigation cylinder lead #2 is not firing.  I try all of the plugs there and none will fire.  All will fire on the other 3 leads.  I replace the #2 lead with a spare.  No dice.  My dizzy is fitted with a pertronix but this seems to be an odd failure.  My experience with these is that failure is not uncommon but it is usually all or none.  The other 3 cylinders have a nice fat even spark.  I looked at the cap but nothing seems amiss.  My next step will be to check the cap for continuity on the troubled cylinder?  It seems down to the cap/rotor or the pertronix.  Any other ideas?  My next step should be what??  The only other strange thing is slightly erratic behaviour of the tach. 

Thanks in advance!  You guys pretty much make it possible for me to run this car.  Can't thank you enough....