View single post by Tony Hollart
 Posted: 09-04-2007 10:08 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Tony Hollart

The Viva magnum shared the same front cross member, steering rack, shocks, 10 inch brakes, anti- roll  bar etc,  hence the reason I purchased a complete car for useful parts.  I was told early on that you use the  1800 cc engine if you want to do the 2.2 l engine upgrade yourself rather than  buying in the kit. The 2.0 l engine runs really well so I have not gone any further about going to 2.2L. The flex plate would bolt onto he standard 907 crank shaft and the bell housing bolts onto th 907 engine also.

As to where would you find one in America, I do not know. Did you get the Rover  SD1 2600 or V8 3500 at all, I think this had a TH 180. To fit a auto to a JH would change the character of the car a lot. If I was really contemplating doing it I would probably do the unspeakable and replace the engine and gearbox together. A MX5 engine and gearbox or Toyota RAV 4 or something from earlier generation BMW 316's or 318. The Peugeot 504/505 was another slant 4 engine, The Audi Quattro was on quite a good slant also ( Mind you this had a 5 cylinder engine ). The heart of a JH is the free reving Lotus 907 engine but even  hearts can get replaced with good results.
The front cross member would not need too much modication and if done carefully the engine mount brackets, 907 engine, gearbox and drive shaft could be stored to be put in at a later date again.

I will get some photos of the auto this weekend and post. Tony H.

Last edited on 09-04-2007 10:14 am by Tony Hollart