View single post by Steve Jarvis
 Posted: 08-10-2007 01:26 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Steve Jarvis

I've just finished installing a new clutch cable and got down to the last step of connecting to the clutch lever. The cable seemed to be too short and while trying to adjust the tension, the lever slipped off the pivot point. After some checking and fiddling around the lever seems to slide into a slot and be positioned correctly on the release bearing and centered in the slot. It is the only place it appears to fit correctly and it fit quite easily. The shop manual has no pictures and I'm working from the Delta catalogue picture.

In this position the lever is almost at the back of the slot with the bearing touching the pressure plate. The only way to get the nuts on the clutch cable screw is to compress the lever with a clamp. The shop manual indicates that the nut should be hand tightened and then backed off a bit. This is not possible with the setup as is. Is this typical or do I still have a problem?

My experience with other cars is that the release bearing should not ride on the pressure plate except when the clutch pedal is pushed. Is this correct with a Jensen?

I checked with Delta and the clutch cable is the proper length, the pedal end is seated properly and so is the nylon stop that connects the other end of the cable to the housing. The only other things I can think off are: 1) that the pivot ball was not installed correctly previously, i.e. not screwed in properly which would change the geometry of the lever forcing it back or 2) the lever is still not in the right spot for the pivot. Do either of these options make sense?

Any other suggestions most welcome.

Steve