View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 05-12-2005 04:51 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

Paul,

I'm lazy, the driving weather where I live is wonderful at the moment, and thus I have not yet shimmed up the new transmission mount I installed.  Did I mention that I'm lazy?  :^}

As you observe, the rear end of the transmission needs to be raised about 1/2".  Depending on the approach chosen, spacer(s) could be installed between the transmission and the mount, between the mount and transmission crossmember, or both.

According to my notes, the mounting holes in the transmission's aluminum tailshaft are on 4.0" centers and are threaded 5/16"-24 SAE.  One normally uses a coarse thread with aluminum, however, so my notes may be wrong.  It'd be easy enough to check from under the car.

The lower mounting holes in the new tranny mount are on 1.5" centers and are threaded 3/8"-16 USS.  The bolts provided by Delta to fit these holes were 3/4" long.

Local hardware stores usually carry 1/8" thick aluminum strip in a variety of widths and lengths.  This material is generally very soft and is readily cut, smoothed, and drilled by tools likely to be available to the average owner.  Obviously, one would require four thicknesses of this material to obtain the desired 1/2" spacing.  Aluminum plate would be preferable but is generally harder to come by.

For spacers to fit between transmission and mount, I'd use strips 1+1/2" wide and 4+3/4" long.  For spacers to fit between mount and crossmember, I'd use strips 2+1/4" wide and 3" long, so that there would be a proper footing for the mount.  For either approach, as you've noted, bolts about 1/2" longer than the originals would be required.  Grade 5 hardware would be entirely satisfactory.