View single post by Jensenman
 Posted: 06-14-2007 09:23 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jensenman

My car has a Kenwood single CD player. I used the white/blue wire Mark mentioned and a brown wire for radio memory (brown = constant battery voltage in Lucas wiring, white = ignition or auxilary circuit). The best place to get your constant backup power is the clock wiring harness. If you have purple wires, those are generally courtesy light wires and can also be used for memory backup. Use only plain purple, purple with a stripe is a ground or switched wire and won't have power unless the door jamb switch is closed.

I 'dinged' the edges of the door openings to allow a 5 1/4" Polk speaker to fit. Caution: when doing this, keep the position of the speaker and window crank in mind. I 'dinged' the side of the hole furthest from the window crank so the speaker grille would fit. I have approximately 3/8" clearance from the crank to the grille. Be careful of the depth, too. Some speakers are too 'deep' to fit, there's a brace inside the door in that area (or at least there is on my JH5).

I made two boxes of 1x3's and 7/16" plywood for the rear to mount a pair of 6 1/2" Polks. I used sheet metal screws to hold them to the rear bulkhead and the rear package shelf. Use short screws so you don't punch into the fuel tank! I covered the speaker boxes with Ozite, that's a universal type carpet you can find at just about any Advance, Pep Boys, etc. using spray trim adhesive.

I like some thunder in my stereo too, but I didn't do a subwoofer because when the top is down you lose its 'reflection' of the low frequencies, so you don't get the true feel of a sub. By the time you get a sub and amp big enough to overcome this, it's darn near impossible to find a place to mount it.

Last edited on 06-14-2007 09:25 pm by Jensenman