View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 05-07-2005 03:14 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

First, apologies for not making it completely clear that my transmission mount comments apply to 4-speed cars.  I'm slowly realizing that I have a tremendous blind spot in this area.

For the 4-speed tranny mount, a horizontal gap between the upper and lower rubber sections is normal.  This is what I tried to indicate with the color added to the line drawing in my earlier post.

There's very little clearance between the driveshaft front U-joint and the chassis stiffener plate, and under extreme conditions with some parts combinations the U-joint yoke may graze the plate.  This is more a minor design flaw than anything else.  But in Kneff's case, where the driveshaft repeatedly impacts the plate, it's pretty clear that something has gone wrong.

I'd certainly take a look at the motor mounts.  These do age, and unless they're in good shape, I'd replace them too.  Additionally, I'd look very closely at the transmission crossmember, the chassis stiffener plate, and their various mounting bolts (all of which go through the floorboards and appear to be welded in place).  Any significant damage to any of these parts would probably justify replacement.  Delta should have the the two sheet metal parts in stock.

AFAIK the transmission mount itself was used on the JH, probably various Sunbeams, and perhaps a few other Chrysler UK cars.  As for sources, in addition to Delta Motorsports and the JHPS (which here is Delta's sales agent), you could try the various Sunbeam spares sources.  Judging from the long backorder times, the UK supplier is of the 'we can start mining the ore for those sometime in the fall' sort, so I wouldn't think a direct overseas order would have much hope of success.  Finally, as I understand it, there are one or two companies that remanufacture such parts by casting new rubber on the metal bits, which I suspect would be rather expensive.

I'll close here by noting that although Delta's substitute tranny mount is a real PITA to modify and install (I'm guessing it's at least a 3 on Greg's Vino Scale), it does allow a JH to remain safely operational until the correct parts are again available.