View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 05-06-2005 12:03 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

Intermittent clock operation seems to be typical.  I've had mine apart, but that was years ago.  ISTR (but am not certain) that it involved prising off the chrome bezel.  In any event, it wasn't all that hard to dismantle.

In my case, I blew out a fair amount of dust, lightly lubricated the various moving parts, then applied power.  The clock worked for about 15 seconds then quit.  Disgusted, I put it back together and reinstalled it in the dash.  Then, weeks later, I happened to glance at the clock, and noticed that it was working -- intermittently, to be sure, but working nonetheless.  Now, several years later, it seems to work all the time, and loses only about an hour a month.  Maybe it just took a long time for the lubrication to reach the bad parts.  Or maybe it's still intermittent and works only when I'm looking at it....

FWIW, there's an article titled "VDO Kienzle Clock Movement Testing, Adjustment & Repair" at  http://www.aircooledtech.com .  While this deals with the clocks used in Volkswagens, I'd imagine they are fairly similar to the one in the JH.

Finally, there have been various attempts at sticking a modern mechanism behind the existing faceplate.  I don't have links for these but they shouldn't be all that hard to find via your favorite search engine.