View single post by Dan (Florida)
 Posted: 06-06-2007 01:40 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dan (Florida)

Just for my 2 cents, I cut two gaskets from 3/16" black Garlock gasket rubber bought at a nuts and bolts store  using an old gasket as a pattern. I did all of the usual cleaning, tapping , etc and attached the gasket to the valve covers first using Yamabond 4 gasket sealer (yamaha motorcycle dealer) and about 15 spring  clothes pins per cover to make sure the gasket didn't  slip  or show gaps. after  drying  and inspecting I coated  and partial dried the head and valve cover gasket surface and  installed the covers. Sometimes a little partial drying will set up the sealer so as to fill in  gaps a little better. This surface is without a doubt the worst gasket sealing area I have encountered, and cannot say enough good about Yamabond 4 sealer.  Mine havent leaked in over a year, which I can't say about the rest of the engine.

hth    Dan

Edit:  If I had to do it over again I would drill and tap 1/4 " breather lines into both covers  to vent  blowby, particularly in the exhaust cover.  Once the exhaust area starts to collect oil the blowby must build up pressure under the cover aiding leaks wherever it can.

Last edited on 06-06-2007 01:47 pm by Dan (Florida)