View single post by dciaccio
 Posted: 05-28-2007 10:57 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
dciaccio

Experts:

Here is a real puzzler.  My lower cam cover had a leak.  I replaced the gasket with the rubber seal.  After a few hours of running, all seemed fine.  Now the drip once again reoccurs on the exhaust pipe off the lower corner of the cover.  I thought my workmanship was faulty.  However, after cleaning the area, running the engine, then inpecting with a mirror, the oil is coming from the middle of the cam cover and migrating down the cover to the lower end.  The oil seems to accumulate in the middle rib indentation, just left of the JH emblem.  It then overflows to the next lower rib indentation and proceeds back the lower corner of the cover.  I have thoroughly cleaned this twice and found the ribs above are clean and dry.  The bolts are sealed and dry.  The leading edge of the cover gasket is dry.  This leads me to the unlikely question, could the cover have a hairline crack in this location?

Any thoughts would be appreciated on this puzzler.

I can email a photo of the cover where I have marked the location of the first oil accumulation if desired by anyone.

Thanks as always for the help.

Dave Ciaccio    #12248