View single post by Dan Eiland
 Posted: 05-24-2007 11:49 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dan Eiland

I had several Aluminum Flywheels made a few months back and they began with my original cast iron boat anchor for the design. The company that made them is a Tilton Dealer and they specialize in building racing parts and chassies. When I told them that Tilton used to make these they looked them up and used some of the specs from Tilton. I have one for my car and I also have a second one put away. Both of my aluminum flywheels weigh 7 pounds without the ring gear and just under 8 pounds with a ring gear. The ring gear from the stock JH fits right onto these flywheels so this isn't an issue. I had one of the flywheels balanced to my engine and the second one was neutrally balanced so it can be used with any JH engine. I also had some grub screws added to the flywheel I'm using on my engine to hold the ring gear in place so it will not move. I can always have more flywheels made if anyone is interested in one, but you would need to have your old ring gear mounted to it or you can purchase a new ring gear and send it to me and I can have it mounted to your new aluminum flywheel if you elect to have one made. You can also pick what weight you want your flywheel; you just need to let me know ahead of time. The flywheels are made on a CNC machine and the program has already been written since I already had some made. The last time I had them made they cost me $350 each plus balancing and surfacing. I think when it was all finished they cost around $450 plus shipping. Since my car is still under construction I can't tell you how well they work, but there are a couple of people out there who have one and maybe they could tell you. Have attached a photo of my spare.

Attachment: Aluminum Flywheel 3.jpg (Downloaded 84 times)