View single post by Ron Earp
 Posted: 05-07-2007 12:28 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Ron Earp

Pat, sounds like you have a iron block iron headed 327. If he goes ally head/block the weight difference is only about 50-85 lbs depending on what accessories/intake/flywheel have to be used. We weighed the fully dressed JH motor (iron flywheel) versus one of the ally 342" Ford SBs we have, also dressed with alternator, and only got about 73 lbs difference - and mine isn't a super light one, but not cheap. That little Buick 215 motor we mess with in the TR8 is lighter still with the right bits, and cheap to build if you know the shops.

But I agree choosing careful with some of the ally V6s could net a light motor - maybe even lighter than the JH motor. The latest versions of GMs 3.8L push rod V8 are very light and make a lot of power these days. They are lighter than the equilvalent DOHC design due to the weight savings of the single cam and simple heads. And plentiful.

Shoot me an email at "rlearp at gt40s.com" and I'll send Judson's email back to you. Don't give up on the JH motor just yet, Judson can hook you up with one for I suspect less than you'll have in obtaining another non-JH engine and then fabbing up all the swap stuff.

Ron

Last edited on 05-07-2007 12:29 pm by Ron Earp