View single post by Greg Fletcher
 Posted: 04-23-2007 04:58 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Greg Fletcher

The distributor install can be a real annoyance and is indeed is one of the "black arts" on the Jensen Healey. I know it must seem incredible, but I think you still have the drive dog in the wrong spot. You need the cap off, apply slight presure to the housing sideways and VERY slowly rotate the rotor. I'd keep the clamp only slightly snug on the uppermost shaft and not attached to the oil pump housing at all right now. Just get it in place and worry about adjustment later.

As you turn the rotor, sooner or later, you'll feel the drive dog hit home and the entire assembly with go into place. Rotate the clamp to line up with the stud on the housing and tighten up everything enough to keep it in place. Now you can worry about how it should be adjusted.

The first time I did this it took me hours also, I thought I was going crazy. I came back the next day and tried again and it went right in- seemed bizarre at the time, but there's nothing like experinece to save the day. Once you've done it a few times and have "the touch" you'll have no problems. Keep in mind this new distributor is just that, new, the drive dog will not have the wear that your old unit has and it's going to be an even more of a precise fit.