View single post by Judson Manning
 Posted: 04-16-2007 12:09 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Judson Manning

Believe it or not, sometimes you can get away with a quick "touch-hone" to pull out a thou or two and just re-ring the pistons.  Not my favorite solution, but it sure does beat spending another $$$$ on new pistons and matched liners.

**Clarification:  A "touch-hone" is not to be confused with using one of those de-glazing tools you attach to your drill.  A "real" honing machine has to be used not only to put on a good x-hatch, but the goal is to straighten and de-oval the liners.**

I'm doing the same thing on a "slap-together" engine for my E-prod car.  I need something reliable to get me around the track (undistracted) so I can evaluate the suspension and other systems.

An un-named client of mine relied on similar advice from another engine builder only to end-up with a non-running engine.  Under closer inspection #3 (which for some reason ALWAYS is abused) was about .003" out of round and had .002" taper!

The only down-side is a little more blow-by which may raise your oil and water temperature.  Also, you'll want to watch oil contamination which only means you'll need to be vigilant in changing the oil when it turns black.

Last edited on 04-16-2007 02:45 pm by Judson Manning