View single post by Ron Earp
 Posted: 04-27-2005 06:51 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Ron Earp

As you fellows probably know I'm getting ready to race a JH in SCCA Improved Touring. First time one has been raced in IT road racing as far as we know.

I've had a hell of a time with the shocks.  As you also know, JH's have enough clearance stock to ride over logs. Way too much and the ride height is way high resulting in a roll center way off the ground.

I fixed that by having http://www.coilspings.com make me a few sets of 3.25" ID springs in various lengths at 650lb rates. I finally settled on 8" springs as being perfect, 3" shorter than the stock 11" springs.  Mocked the springs on the car with no shocks and they seemed perfect. But wait.

I had been having a hell of a time with the Koni's that came on my JH. I had had them rebuilt twice by TrueChoice, and finally thought I had them correctly valved for the 650lb springs. But, when I got ready to install them I noticed they were still leaking and sent them back for a third rebuild.

In the meantime my buddy Jeff got so pissed off about hearing me complain about shocks that he called the JHPS and order the Blistens for the JH. Thanks I said, shocks solved.

Well, I put those on the other day and now I have a problem. The springs lowered the car, true, but they lower the car so much that the shock is basically entirely compressed. No travel that I can tell.  I'm not sure the Koni's would have had this problem but I'm going to check them.

If both types of shocks have this problem then I am in need of some suggesitons to fix this. I cannot legally move the suspension pickup points but I thought it a simple matter to weld plates to the bottom from arm and lower the shock mounting point.  Or, if there is room, drill another top mounting hole higher on the subframe to move the top up a bit.

Anyone have any ideas? I just discovered this early in the AM, so I still need to think about it and explore. I'll put up some pictures for those having trouble visualizing.

The neat thing is the springs I finally settled on had the car at a great ride height and had the suspension perfectly setup - lower arm was parallel to the ground, upper parallel to the ground with a little travel to stops - ready to go.  Just running into a seemingly pesky dampener situation.

Thanks,

Ron