View single post by James Wilson
 Posted: 03-06-2007 04:14 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
James Wilson

The one shown is made by Tony Law in the UK, its actually for the Sumbeam-Lotus but they make them too for the Jensen-Healey which look similar to the one shown. Its a 4:2:1 design. The company seems to be pretty well known and respected here; and my car already has an exhaust system from the manifold back that they supplied to the previous owner.

My car is an early one with a factory tubular manifold like that shown on page 3 of the Martin-Robey catalog:

http://www.martinrobey.com/filestore/jensen.pdf

It looks a lot more effective than most of the cast iron Lotus ones I've seen that I presume are like those fitted to later J-Hs. But it has one tube bend forward and then back so it can't be as efficient as after-market ones that run straight... but I'm not sure whether the additional benefit will be there for a less than all-out modified engine.

I've since spoken to someone here and their considered opinion is that the Tony Law one shown is more suitable for a competition or more highly modified engine, with what may be a little too big a bore for what I'm doing. I suspect that the expense (think £500 ~ $1000) would be more beneficial elsewhere in engine or suspension upgrades....