View single post by Dan Eiland
 Posted: 03-04-2007 03:28 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dan Eiland

I find it interesting that there is no mention in my JH Manual or Lotus Manual of lubricating any of the moving parts inside the oil pump on the rebuild procedure. I would think that one would lubricate the shaft and the rotors with either engine assembly lube or engine oil. My concern is with the tolerances being so close (i.e. 0.0005 in some cases) that engine assembly lube may be too thick and cause some issues upon assembly such as the rotor and anulus being too tight. Once oil is drawn into the pump this may no longer be an issue. My guess is that either will work just fine and will adequately protect the parts upon startup until the pump primes and fills with engine oil. I just got to thinking after I had applied the engine assembly lube and reassembled the pump that it would have been better to use my engine oil for this since that is what will be lubricating these parts once the engine is running again. If one thinks about the main bearings and the fact that one uses engine assembly lube in this area then I would guess it is safe to use it in the oil pump.

NOTE: One change between my JH Manual and my Lotus Manual applies to the oil pump gasket. My JH Manual says to "Apply a suitable jointing compound to both faces of the new gasket fitted between the oil pump body and the auxiliary housing," where my Lotus Manual says, " Fit the oil pump to the auxiliary housing using a NEW gasket which is fitted DRY."