View single post by Ron Earp
 Posted: 02-12-2007 10:45 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Ron Earp

Well, after all the fix isn't that bad. Unfortunately there were no replacement parts to be bought and thus I needed to come up with some other solution.

On my transmission my selector shaft coming out of the box has an elongated hole where the rest of the shift mechanism ties into it. Ditto on a couple other of the holes where pins go through just generally putting a lot of slop in the mechanism.

So, I found the next largest drill size that I have roll pins for and simply opened all the holes up to that dimension and re-pinned them. Did it work?

Like a champ! While it isn't as tight as a four speed by any stretch of the imagination, it is somewhat positive and gears can be properly found. And it doesn't wiggle wobble all over the place while in gear as it used to.

Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do when these wear out, probably replace the crummy ball/sleeve pinned joint with a universal joint like it should be in the first place.

If you five speed has issues this is a relatively simple fix you can do at home if you need. Now I just have to stuff the thing back in the car.....got it out in 27 mins including exhaust removal and driveshaft drop, need to get it back in with a time under that!

Ro