View single post by Bill Rister
 Posted: 02-10-2007 12:31 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Bill Rister

Apparently a previous owner has disconnected at least part  of that seat belt/parking brake/ignition set-up because my car will start with the parking brake off and no seat belt connected.   But I still have intermitant starting on the first turn of the key.  I've wondered if perhaps the key isn't seating correctly or if contacts just aren't contacting each time in this 34 year old system.    And that has made me do a bit of thinking...
I recall in the late 1930's my aunt having a Ford coupe with a dash-mounted push-button starter switch.   It worked with the ignition on or off ..I know 'cause as a left-alone-in-the-car-kid I pushed that button and the car lurched forward.   Scared the pants off me!
I've thought of doing this and wonder if anyone has already done so ...why not a push-button discreetly placed in an out of the way, not easily seen, place under the dash or elsewhere, connected between the battery and hot terminal of the solenoid?
With the ignition switch on, a push of the button should cause the solenoid to do its job on the first push.