View single post by Jay
 Posted: 02-06-2007 05:31 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jay

While on the topic of the oil pump, I have some general questions.

First:
If I suspected that my oil pressure was not as high as recommend, at what point would disassembly and inspection of its internal components be advised? With that in mind, I wanted to know if the pump and housing can be removed, independent of the auxiliary drive shaft. In other words, just what components need to be removed to be able to remove the oil pump?

Second:
I thought that I read somewhere that the oil pump has a sort of one-way valve that is to prevent the oil from draining when not in operation and thus keep itself "primed". Is this so? If so, should it be able to hold back the oil for an extended period of time? I would assume that this is why it takes a degree of time (seconds) after start-up, for the pressure to build, but I would also think that some of this time could be attributed to the transfer of the oil through the engine.

Third:
I have read of some sort of oilier system that can pre-oil the engine prior to start-up. Where can I get more information on such a system? Just as a thought, I was wondering if has anyone has considered or herd of some sort of oil reservoir, located somewhere above the engine block, that could act as a feed to insure that the oil pump is primed by gravity?

Just gathering general knowledge. I appreciate any of your thoughts and advice.

Thanks, Jay