View single post by Dan Eiland
 Posted: 02-06-2007 04:33 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dan Eiland

This is where I'm at with this issue--I went out and purchased a blade style feeler gauge that starts at 0.0015", 0.002", 0.0025", 0.003", 0.004" and so on. I used this gauge to measure the Annulus (outer Gear) to housing clearance and was able to get the 0.004" blade in but the Annulus would not turn. When I place the 0.003" blade between the pieces the Annulus will still turn but is snug. I'm not clear if this means the clearance is 0.003" or 0.004", but at least I can report something to the list.

Next I placed the annulus and rotor into the housing without being on the shaft. I measured the clearance between the lobes and was able to get the 0.007" blade between the lobes but not the 0.008" blade.

I have not measured the clearance where the gasket fits but the new gasket seems to measure 0.005" yet it is black in color and came out of the gasket kit. I have now measured the thickness of two old gaskets and they are both 0.005" as well. Both my oil pumps use the sleeve style pressure relief valve and both look in good condition. Had not planned to remove these---should I? 

Where do I go next? I guess I need to still measure the clearance where the gasket fits, but can anyone tell me if I really need to replace the rotor and annulus? Is there anything else I need to do with the oil pump/auxiliary housing?

Last edited on 02-06-2007 04:36 am by Dan Eiland