View single post by Judson Manning
 Posted: 02-05-2007 06:42 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Judson Manning

Dan,

If you don't have one already, get a set of feeler gauges at one of the better auto supply places.  My set is basically a grouping 1/2" wide by 3" long pieces of sheet-metal .002" all the way to .030" in thickness. 

This tool is indespensible when it comes to shimming valves.  In like fashion, assemble the inner and outer pump rotors on a flat surface, then insert your feeler gauge between the rotor lobes. 

When new the gap between the rotors should be roughly .0045" and never more than .006".  I have seen pumps with as much as .012" that pumped oil, but took 30sec to prime and never exceeded 50psi hot.

Don't concern yourself too much with the outer rotor to body clearance, while critical, it usually isn't an area for wear.  Just put the rotor in the body and move it by hand to see how far it moves - use your best judgement.  Given my bad experience with rotor-to-rotor clearance, I would highly suggest buying a new set of oil pump rotors.

Also, when you rebuild the pressure regulator, install a small nut (similar to a #10) on top of the spring to compress it 3-4mm.  This will bump your pressure from 60psi to about 75psi.  Max is about 6-7mm which will cause oil to start coming out the seals.

Judson