View single post by Dan Eiland
 Posted: 01-14-2007 12:49 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dan Eiland

The flywheel that holds the ring gear has a small lip around it to keep the ring gear from moving back as the starter gear kicks forward and engages the ring gear. I was at the machine shop just yesterday checking on some aluminum flywheels I'm having made and we found the ring gear on one of my original flywheels was mounted backwards. It seems the OE ring gears are one directional. The teeth have been beveled on one side which is to face the starter gear. The backside of the OE ring gear is straight cut--no bevel. The bevel should work like a synchronizer so the starter gear does not damage the ring gear when they engage each other. As the starter gear kicks forward it will first hit the beveled area of the ring gear pushing the ring gear/flywheel in the correct direction to the start the engine. As the flywheel moves just enough the starter gear and ring gear will, at just the right moment align and fully engage so the starter can start the engine. It could be the ring gear is not seated all the way back against the lip or it may be mounted backwards as was the case with mine. Sorry but I do not have any of the measurements.