View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 04-22-2005 10:31 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

From the photos, it looks to me like all the bits are loose now.  That being so, the shaft should pop right out with the first whack from a light-duty your inertia puller.  However, based on your photos, you likely have a ring of rust between the outer perimeter of the bearing and the inside of the axle housing tube.  Try some penetrating oil there, and a bit more on the internal ends where they enter the spider, and apply a modicum of brute force with the inertia puller.

If this doesn't work, the next option is to use an inertia puller using a really massive weight.  If you have to go that route, though, I suggest first pressing out those expensive JH wheel studs (ISTR that this is just possible with the axle in place) and temporarily replacing them with Grade 8 bolts.

If the outer bearing is expendable, you can sometimes break it free by applying a chisel against its outer shell and whacking it repeatedly with a BFH -- a short handled 2# or 3# sledge is about the minimum that will work.  WARNING: This is best done on the bench, as I have seen a car knocked off its jack stands by someone trying this process.

The final option is to use a torch to cut through the bearing housing, pull the shaft, then chisel out the remainder of the bearing and clean up its seat.  This is a nasty, somewhat risky job that's best done with the axle on a non-flammible bench.

Alternately, take the axle to a machine shop, pay whatever they ask, and be thankful that you aren't spending several precious free days with a hammer and chisel.  Note that you will usually be charged much more for the job if they can tell that you've already tried the torch....

Finally, when reinstalling the shaft, you may wish to use a ring of sealer on the inner part of the bearing's perimeter, and a thicker ring of anti-sieze surface toward the outer part, sufficient to fill the beveled gap between bearing and housing when things are assembled.  This can help keep the oil in, and water out, so that the next removal will be a bit less stressful.