View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 01-01-2007 12:21 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

Your cams are marked with the correct casting numbers, but that says nothing about the way the cam lobes are ground.  Probably you have the stock JH cams unless there is a stamped number or machined groove present on the front part of either camshaft, just behind the timing gear.  To give you an idea of what to look for, the attached photo shows a couple of type 107 cams, and you can see the 777.... stamped thereon.

With the clearances you mention, I'd be hesitant about driving the car vigorously or for any considerable distance.  While the intakes probably won't cause any immediate problems, the exhaust clearances are far too tight and I'd be very concerned about burning valves.

I suggest checking your feeler gauges with a micrometer to make sure they're actually the thickness marked thereon.  You may get lucky and discover that your gauges are too thick.  Most likely, though, as Ron notes, you'll need to re-shim the engine.  This is an expensive, tedious, and annoying process the first time through, as it is necessary to test-assemble each cam carrier to the head to ensure that its shims are in fact correct.  If you record the shim thickness used at each valve, you can avoid most of that tedium the next time the job needs doing.

Attachment: cams type 107 #1.jpg (Downloaded 127 times)