View single post by Dan Eiland
 Posted: 12-28-2006 09:54 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dan Eiland

I was talking with Garry Kemp who recommended I open up the water entry to the block a little. The way he puts it, as it came from the factory you can just get part of your finger through there where as on the newer Lotus blocks you can get your thumb through the same opening. Garry says it helps considerably in cooling the engine, especially when done in addition with the three row radiator . I don't know how much help the hose fitting was at the back of the head on the Lotus heads, but I have one head with this fitting and one without. Is it worth having this fitting added to my new head? Where I live we deal with 110^+ temps the entire month of July, and June hangs around the 100^ mark most of the month. We get a cold spell in August and it cools down to 99^ most of the month. I'm adding a new aftermarket airconditioning system with heat, cool and defrost that will replace the original heating and cooling systems. Using all new parts accept I'm using an original JH compressor mount. I have a Lotus three belt pulley for the crank but it looks like it might not be far enough forward to match up to where the compressor pulley is located. May have to have a custom billet pulley made. I think I'll be running cool enough with the three row radiator, opening up the water entrance into the block from the water pump and adding a high efficiency electric fan to the system. What have others done to cool their vehicles when operating with air conditioning? I read somewhere that someone added an electric water pump to their JH but they had to block off the water return through the water pump. The person who wrote about doing this said it worked quite well.