View single post by Dan Eiland
 Posted: 12-28-2006 03:04 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dan Eiland

I am wondering how the experts figure all this out? How does one determine what is the best advance curve when building an engine (rebuilding in our case)? I was trying to find someone with the same, or close to, engine modifications I'm doing to find out what they did to modify their distributor advance. I just figured I could use what they did to have my distributor modified and it should work just fine for a street performance car. I've read a couple of on-line write-ups on this subject and it does seem possible to figure this out mathematically. I'm sure others on the list have already been there done this and could save others some time if nothing more in determining the advance set-up for their distributor so the engine is ready to go when the rebuild is complete. Yes, I know there will always be the fine tuning of the carbs and the timing, etc. etc...., but it seems to me the distributor could be set up ahead of time close enough for a street car. This seems similar to setting up a set of dellortos when you are rebuilding them and getting them as close to perfect before they are installed on the engine. Once they are installed they can be further tuned for perfection. Doesn't this also apply to the distributor? Can't I set up the distributor advance based on the numbers and then fine tune things once the engine is finished and running? Currently the stop in my distributor is stamped 11^. From what Erik is telling me it sounds like an 8^ stop would work much better for a modified engine with long duration cams. I found a place in the USA that can do the work and completely rebuild my distributor to like new or better for a very reasonable amount. I am thinking of having both my distributors done just to have a back-up. Would like to hear what others have done, besides Erik, who have gone with the 2.2L upgrade and 104 cams. I really appreciate Erik's feedback and find it very helpful. I also heard from Pete with Yellowdog and his input was just as helpful. I know there are more than two people out there who have done this upgrade.  I would like to hear from others out there. Thanks in ADVANCE!