View single post by Harkes
 Posted: 12-27-2006 07:36 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Harkes

Hi Dan,

happy holidays to you.

About MSD: i am running MSD 6A not AL. The MSD delivers multiple sparks up to 3000 rpm. Past the 3000 rpm it goes back to one spark. So no extra gain there.

Delta Motorsports now sells a new item from Pertronix called "second strike". This little box provides 2 sparks shortly after one another (adjustable!) but from 0 rpm to the very end of your rpm range. Really an improvement over the MSD.

It works of course perfect with your current Pertronix Ignitor and coil.

About advance curve: my 2.2L engine as you found on the board runs on 15 degr. static and 30 degr. max advance (not 28) @ 3500. The weights in my dizzy are stamped 9 degr. (original 2.0L dizzies are stamped 13 degr. i believe).

with a high performance engine you need less mechanical advance then with your stock set up. 9 degr. is about right, but i think 7.5 would be the optimum for my engine.

there is a formula, used as a rule of thumb: (max advance - static advance)/2 = mechanical advance in my case: ( 30 - 15 ) / 2 = 7.5 degrees mechanical advance.

don't grind anything off your current weights. It is not only the weights that determine the advance curve, it is also the two springs! Bring your dizzy to a professional shop and get a new advance curve optimized for your 2.2L engine.

good luck.

erik

Last edited on 12-27-2006 07:42 am by Harkes