View single post by Dan Eiland
 Posted: 12-26-2006 07:12 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dan Eiland

Happy Holidays to Everyone,

I was going through some of the old posts about ignition systems looking for information about what others have done when they convert to the 2.2L. I found one post from Erik Harkes where he mentions running 15^ static advance and full advance of 28^ @ 3500 rpm. I do not know much about all this but can understand that due to the changes in stroke, compression, piston size, camshafts (104's), Carburation (dellorto 45 Trijets) and electronic ignition, that it makes sense that I would have to make changes in the ignition advance to make things work together properly. I am thinking of using my old distributor with the Pertronix LU142 installed along with the new 60,000 volt Flame-Thrower HV coil (3 ohm unit) and the Pertronix Second Strike Box. I notice a lot of people recommend the MSD 6A or AL units. Seems to me the boxes are about the same, so I don't know if there is an advantage using one over the other. I already have a new set of Magnicore 8.5mm wires  so no need to purchase new ones. I am wondering if I need to make any changes to the advance cam in the distributor? The one in mine is marked 11^. Do I need to change mine to one that is stamped 15^? I could just grind off some metal from the end of mine but then I wouldn't know how much to grind or how to check it. I could just find another distributor that already has the 15^ cam and rob it to change mine. What are your thoughts?

Dan Eiland