View single post by Gary Martin JH 15371
 Posted: 04-22-2005 02:15 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Gary Martin JH 15371

I would aggree with Judson. I like the "evolution" idea. Nothing is wrong with a very original restoration at all, but  I like the idea of modifying the car as perhaps Jensen would have done had they made it a few more years. Staying with a Lotus engine to me is preferable. The Lotus engine is one of the things that draws me to this car. If I had the money I would update the 907 to 2.2 spec, 107-104 cams, Delorto's, higher compression ratio, etc. The 907-910 Lotus combo also looks interesting, or just using the 910 or 912 engine out of a newer (80's) Lotus Esprit. I like the idea of taking a small engine and tweaking it for more power. Heck, you can get 500 HP from a Honda 4 cyl, and BMW used to have a 318 race car that had over 1000 HP back in the 80's. A small block V8 is fine, looks good and sounds great, but you will ruin the handling. I would think a V6 would be better if you must use a non Lotus engine, or your budget prohibits repairing the 907. 

There is just something about this little car that people like. It has great body lines, a cool engine, nice interior, and it's a British two seat convertable similar to an MG or Triumph, but is quite rare. I find people have heard of the JH, but most have never seen one. I found mine in a salvage yard in 1986 (engine fire). I was not even sure what it was at first, I just knew I liked it, burnt and all. I did not get around to restoring it untill last year (long story), but now have the engine back in and just about to fire it up for the first time in 19 years ! I plan to eventually update the engine to 2.2, find some really nice wheels, bigger brakes, sway bars, and perhaps experiment with some tastfull small hood scoops, something I would like to think Jensen would have done (the car has no grill and could use some small scoops for more air in front of radiator). But I digress. Stock or Street Rod, both are fine. I'd rather see someone put these old cars to use, than have them rust away in a junk yard. By the way I know where several JH cars are sitting rusting away up here in Oregon. I might buy a second one and make a SCCA production class race car out of it. Yet another project.

Gary