View single post by Jim Ketcham
 Posted: 12-16-2006 01:20 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jim Ketcham

I too would be interested in seeing costs for various upgrades. 

Unfortunately, I believe a direct comparison will be very difficult.  Low cost poor quality cannot be compared to properly done work.  One off jobs at a quality machinist will tend to be expensive.  A good machinist should be able to give you an estimate ahead of time so that you can better do a cost benefit analysis and decide if a particular mod is personally worth doing.

Obviously, if there is only a single machinist in your area your prices will reflect that.  I have been a bit successful in lowering costs by having my preferred machinist do the work as "fill in" work.  That is, with no time constraint.  Unfortunately, it sometimes takes months to get things back and occasional visits to his shop to shoot the breeze and remind him I'm still waiting.  I do learn alot hanging around his shop.  I also found that batching some work lowers the unit cost considerably as it minimizes the machinists setup cost.  Obviously, batching only works if you have more than one engine you are doing or you can get together with some others.

I think that compiling a list of "high quality" machine shops that are good at doing the performance type of work on the 907 that we are interested in would be a great thing to have, even if it required shipping things out for machine work.  From what I have seen on this message board, "West Coast Cylinder Head" is a good example and would be first on the list. 

Jim