View single post by Harkes
 Posted: 12-14-2006 09:45 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Harkes

my 2.2L engine is built by Garry Kemp and was built with torque being more important than top end HP as i'll be using the car for the road. Who wants to drive over 200 KM per hour in a 30 year old convertible?

To get a torquey and fast road car Garry chose his custom version of the 104 cam in combination with the 107 cam (104 inlet, 107 exhaust)

So it comes down to your driving style, basically. I would advise the 104/107 combo.

For the rest: the pistons do worry me a bit. If not sure, follow the safe route and get a matching set of pistons like Greg advised. Garry Kemp might have a set for you lying around (used or new) as well as cams if you need them (i have BTW 2x true 107 cams lying around)

Garry 10 dowelled my block. A strengthening bearing carrier is not really necessary, especially not for road use, Garry advised me. When you mean to drive your car on track (which i don't think you will do, since you mentioned 2 x 107 cams) and need lots of top-end HP (and therefore 2 x 104 cams)  then a bearing carrier could be wise.

I am running with the toyota supra W58 5speed gbox and Lotus Exel bellhousing (which i converted back to mechanical clutch operation..) so if you need info..

you need to source some parts from Conversion Components or JHPS for the gbox conversion. Conversion Components has made strengthening bearing plates for the 907 before. I'm not sure if he still makes them or needs a batch of 10. But in case you are going down this route, then this is a potential source.

good luck and do post lots of pictures on the JHPPG.com

Last edited on 12-14-2006 09:56 am by Harkes