View single post by James Wilson
 Posted: 12-13-2006 01:28 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
James Wilson

I've reviewed in the forum what people have done and suggested in rebuilding their engines and I'd be interested in knowing what people's views are on the bits and pieces I've accumulated to rebuild mine as a fast road car. I've acquired:

1) a cross-drilled 2.2 crank and bearings.

2) a set of 10.9:1 Mahle pistons.

3) a later, high compression head.

4) a steel flywheel (~13 lbs)

5) I'll use a later Elite 907 block instead of my early one.

6) 107 cams for both Intake and Exhaust.

to be acquired/done:

7) twin Dellorto 45s- spec 9?- have manifold already.

8) SS intake and exhaust valves

9) HTD cam belt system

10) Balancing during the rebuild.

11) Ignition- either Petronix or Electronic, haven't really made my mind up.

12) Water pump- replace/rebuild for higher output.

13) The piston rings, gaskets, oil seals, etc.

I'm basically rebuilding the engine to a Lotus 912S spec except for using 2x107 cams instead of the 104/107 combo.

Advice Please:

Will it be advisable to use a steel girdle/strengthening plate to reinforce the lower block? I've seen comments suggesting it go between the block and bearing carrier, or between the carrier and the sump. Is there a supplier for these? Materials? Thickness? Any advice/comments about the design or fabrication of one?

I'm still unsure about the 104/107 or 107/107 cam choice. Its not going to be raced, but.... I'll very probably install a full set of competition valve springs so a cam-swap wouldn't mean having to pull the head to change springs then. 

Head porting. Where to start? Where to stop? Port matching?

I've seen a number of comments about controlling the oil flow to the head, but it'd be useful for someone to basically draw me a picture showing where to constrict the oil flow.

Hardware: Head Studs/Bearing Caps/Con Rods- I think I should get these new in any case, but are better ones needed for a non-race application?

My pistons seem an odd set, three are marked "A" and one "B"- can they be mixed? I understand these designations were used to denote slightly different sizes- is this likely to cause problems (balance) or with fit?

Other: I've acquired a Lotus/Toyota W58 transmission with bellhousing and will be installing it too when the engine is done. I've a spare sub-frame for the front that will be rebuilt and the whole front suspension/engine/transmission done at the same time.

I'm still acquiring parts, and intend on seriously starting the rebuild in January.

Thanks.

James.