View single post by Tom Thomson
 Posted: 12-02-2006 10:25 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Tom Thomson

Judson:

The reliabilty part I get; no points to burn etc.  It's the starting, economy, power and emissions that have me wondering.  These all seem to point to a "hotter" spark which must mean watts (or ergs or joules or calories or whatever label you choose).  This, in turn, must mean amps since the voltage at the plug gap limits coil voltage (once the arc is established, at whatever level, the voltage can go no higher).  Of course a higher secondary voltage will allow a wider plug gap providing (perhaps) a more effective spark.  This sounds as though coil output voltage may not be a good reason to spend the money.  Cynical maybe, but I use lots of salt with manufacturers claims.

If I understand your comments on crank trigger systems, reliable timing provides a gain of 5 to 15 %.  Does this assume some dist. shaft wobble, looseness in the drive dogs etc ?  Is this gain thru the rpm range or at top?

After I think I have mastered this much, I intend to worry about spark duration, slope of the curve and other such esoteric trivia.

Thanks for the info                         Tom 13753