View single post by Judson Manning
 Posted: 11-28-2006 07:08 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Judson Manning

Jeremy,

Jim gives some good advice only to which I can add one bit of philosophy which is the much debated:  "While you're at it" rule.

Even here in the deep South, the weather has turned such that a convertible isn't my first choice for driving.  Come Spring that will all change and you'll want your car as reliable as possible.

While Spring is several months away and you've got the car up in the air....While You're At It...spend some time (and money) on doing everything you think you'll need done before NEXT Winter.  Use this time to learn about all the pieces & parts and avoid a rush job - it will only come back to haunt you later (Unfortunately, I AM speaking from experience!). 

If the transmission is that bad, find a local shop that can handle the seals.  If the clutch disc is too thin, replace it and ...while you're at it...machine the flywheel and replace the T/O & pilot bearings.

How about the front seal, timing belt, points, condensor, spark-plugs?....the list goes on and on....again, use the bad-weather time for fix-it-up so you can DRIVE in the Spring, Summer and Fall.

Learn to maximize your fun-to-dollar quotient and you'll be a VERY happy JH Owner!

Judson