View single post by Pat Connor
 Posted: 11-27-2006 01:58 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Pat Connor

With some work you can install a GM 10 Bolt rear end out of a '89-04' S10 GM pickup truck.  It is 54" wide at the axel flange same as Jensen. The lower arms can be used as is.  The upper arms must be built new as the differential is too wide to install axel brackets in the stock location. 

I made new arms out of 1 1/4" tube bet at 45 deg. dogleg  using 1/2" rod end bearings on the chassis end and poly bushings at the other.  I made both ends adjustable for ease of alignment.  Brackets and a polybushing were welded to the axel housing.  Streight arms would be better if new chassis bracket were constructed, however a panhard rod or track bar is necessary for harizontal alignment with either setup.

The stock GM brales are 10" drums same as Jensen Healey but with 1/4" wider lining.  Tjos axel will accept several LSD's including the Torson.  If you wanted to have a real sleeper new axels could be made up with the 4 on 4" bolt pattery by Currie, etc.  Also there are  axel ratios available from 2.73 to 4.56.

Using a salvage rearend and new bearings, seals, drums and linings I have less than $900 invested so far and it is ready to run.