View single post by normv
 Posted: 11-23-2006 09:03 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
normv

The car will be raced in historic racing in Australia and has to run the original diff housing but the internals are free,.

I don’t know what the carrier is from. Questions like that to the diff guy are met with they were specials from years ago, I know he used to do work for the factory Daihatsu rally and off road teams in Australia years ago and the only carrier he had left was wrecked by the first machinist which his why we were trying having some billet ones made, but in the end he was able to buy one back from someone he had sold a quantity of them to a few years ago. Now we have a prototype to take measuremtns from future billet ones should be no problem.

Even if we were got hold of one of these they are not a direct fit they had to be shorten at the centre face and widened quite a bit where the bearings go as it was to narrow and the shape of the case prevents it from fitting otherwise (if you look at the photo you will see a shiny section at the to left of the LSD unit this is where the housing had to be relieved slightly to provide enough clearance despite having also machined down the carrier, This makes me think that the Vauxhall competition LSD did not use this housing but a different one. I would be interested to know if this was the case, as we have diff in Australia which is LSD fitted to 6cyl LC-LJ torana’s( the next model to the HB which was the Vauxhall Viva effectively in Australia) but has the diff center bolt in from the front, whilst the 4cyl LC used the Vauxhall/Jensen design. Just a note the Super pro front bushes Greg sells are are for the LC and the rears from the HB torana.

Norm