View single post by Judson Manning
 Posted: 11-20-2006 01:51 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Judson Manning

Kelvin,

Thanks for the connection to the Sunbeam, I always wondered what transmission was supplied in those cars.  It looks like the Eclat S2 and Sunbeam share the same 265 box.

You are absolutely correct the 265 is near bullet-proof, however, the ratios are a bit wide with a ridiculously low 1st gear.  The guys at http://www.metricmechanics.com have a great history and analysis of this transmission.

In my opinion, the BEST transmission would be the MetricMechanic 'ultimate' based on the 265.  The ratios are much closer and the overdrive is retained.  For racing there is probably nothing stronger, but for the street, it would be overkill.

To answer your quesiton Norm, one could cut down a 4sp bellhousing to adapt ANY transmission.  The challenges include turning the input shaft to match the JH pilot bearing and of course a custom clutch disc. 

The really bad news is that the tollerance for fitting any transmission is about 0.002" (hence the locating dowels), so the welding/maching job has to be extremely precise.  When you add up the cost of welding and machining, plus linkage, etc., the bolt-on solutions become more cost-effective.

Is there any more disappointment I can dish out for you today???

Judson