View single post by Judson Manning
 Posted: 11-18-2006 09:48 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Judson Manning

Norm,

You may want to check elsewhere on the board, I'm pretty sure we've discussed this topic in depth.  For the BMW connection try:  http://www.bimmers.com/02/faq/transmission.html

The vast majority of BMW (Getrag) transmissions have an integral bellhousing which is specific to the BMW block and will not bolt-up to the 907.

In summary, the only bolt-on options are as follows:

JH 4-speed (Chrysler unit) with separate (907 specific) bellhousing

JH 5-speed (Getrag 235/5 unit) with separate (907 specific) bellhousing

Lotus Elite (Lotus 5-speed) with separate bellhousing.  While nice on paper, it is fragile and parts are impossible to find.

Lotus Eclat S2 (Getrag 265 unit used in early BMW M3s) with separate (912 specific) bellhousing.  Bellhousings are ridiculously rare and the 265 ratios aren't exactly JH friendly.

Lotus Excel (Toyota W58 unit used in the Supra) with separate (912 specific) bellhousing.  Bellhousings are attainable, but signigicant modification is required.

The Conversion Components kit is based on the Lotus Excel design.  After modifying a Lotus Excel bellhousing to fit my car, I can honestly say the CC kit is well worth the money!

Anything else requires significant fabrication work to develop a custom bellhousing, clutch, likage, etc.  If you have the equipment, then you could theoretically adapt just about any transmission.  How far does one go before the CC kit becomes the most practical solution?

Judson