View single post by Sylva
 Posted: 11-14-2006 12:12 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Sylva

Hi Let me deal with the points raised.

First engine I had trouble with was a 911, that came from my Rally car, this was used as a support car when Henry Tovinan won the WRC in early 80's and had a few works goodies(but not al) and was 180 bHp at the wheelsl. When I put this engine in my race car it blew from Oil surge, So I surced a NEW 910 Turbo block and crank and this was used with +30 JE Pistons supplied by Garry Kemp. Engine wa assembled locally in Malayisa and run at 6000 rpm fine for 4 or 5 track days say 100 3 mile laps.

Then used in a race, at 8,000, engine run bad after two laps and when the head came off, I ,2 and 3 pistons were broke down to the top ring. At the 12 o'clock poition looking at the engine. But the head dowels to locate the gasket were missing and the gasket and bore did not line up, so It looked like the piston was hitting the gasket ring and the gasket hitting the head.

So happy I knew the problem the engine was rebuilt with pistons supplid by JHPS. Ran for 4 track days, no problem, no noise, and certainly not 'like a deisel'

Ran car in race at 7000 rpm and started to mis fire. Removed head and 1, 2 and 3 pistons broke to top ring (Gasket Chrome ring was fine), again at 12 o'clock position.

My plan is to remove the rods and check 1, 2 and 4 against number 4 (which has not been a problem).

Thanks for you comments and good wishes

Kelvin